MISSION RAKAPOSHI: TREKKING TO BASE CAMP RAKAPOSHI: everything you need to know

Finally I accomplished something extraordinary and unusual in terms of travelling. And that was none other than experiencing a trekking to Rakaposhi base camp. I never thought I would ever do a basecamp but somehow I always dreamt of something epic and one day I finally got an opportunity of travelling with TRAVEL GIRLS. Luckily I got nice mates accompany.  Read my post till end. I will try my best to cover my whole experience, other details and tips for beginners.

For watching my video of Rakaposhi , Click my YouTube channel link here 👇

My first ever trekking experience to basecamps. Though I came back with swollen toes, sore legs and muscles. I kicked my butt multiple times and slipped seven times in snow while descending from Tagaphari basecamp. But after accomplishing it, I find something unusual kind of satisfaction and happiness in my heart.

I always been fascinated to wild nature. Never got satisfaction by mere a sightseeing of Rakaposhi from roadsides that can be easily viewed from different stopovers on KKH. I always wanted to get inside and truly feel the wildness with streams, meadows, walking into woods, camp fire, camping and ghost stories. Though i didn't find any ghost there 👻


 RAKAPOSHI means " SNOW COVERED" in local language, one of the fantastic mountain and ranked 27th highest in the world with elevation 7788m. It is considered as one of the most beautiful hikes in Pakistan.



LOCATION: It's located in Karakoram Mountain range in Nagar valley, and the trekking start from Minapin village. This hike is considered as moderate for beginners but it made me realize my level of endurance and the strength I have to show during my this journey by foot. 

STARTING : We started our trek in morning 7am from Minapin village, the starting point for Rakaposhi base camp. There are two camping sites. First one known as " Hapakun" and is about 2800m, is a lovely meadow for first night camping and the second one is just located at base of Mt. Rakaposhi  known as "Tagaphari" that is quite close to the ridge and is about 3500m. We couldn't stay there due to snow and back to Hapakun for another night stay.
This seems so magical but in reality sleeping in bags inside camps and using a toilet in extreme open and freezing wind is something really interesting as well struggling in such cold weather.





Basecamp is 4 to 5 km but it's bit steep that's why take around 4 to 5 hours especially for the beginners and new to trekking. It was such a wonderful experience for me, where through woods you slowly getting near to Mt .Rakaposhi rather then just viewing it from road side. After reaching to Tagaphari you can view Diran peak, Rakaposhi and it's interconnecting walls.  



During trekking I find myself so close to beautiful nature and saw pretty scenic views with soaring peaks and a variety of spectacular trekking routes. Whatever you choose will ultimately take you the first camping site known as "Hapakun" .It's the first camping site of Rakaposhi. We stayed there at night in camping and next morning to "Tagaphari" and then back to "Hapakun" for camping, as I mentioned earlier.






TIPS FOR FIRST TIME TREKKERS:

First of all be prepare mentally. If you will be mentally prepare and know your STRENGTHS and LIMITS, then you might be able to do it successfully whatever the conditions. 

Exercise regularly, do walk.

Now let's come to packing 👇

Backpack? Rucksack:  Your backpack must be of good quality and comfortable, built specifically for trekkers. Being a beginner I purchased 10L backpack and I carried almost 4kg in it during trekking. I felt comfortable with that during my 5 hours trekking to campsite. But I know I must build more endurance for future treks. 

Footwear:  You must need waterproof , some light weight comfortable trekking shoes with strong grip. So you won't be slipping like me in snow by wearing Ndure joggers 😏 

Supplies : I joined a group where potters service/emergency service were available so i was just free to enjoy around. I carry only essentials like snacks, a jacket, a cap and water bottle.

List of other essential items that are must to carry is here 👇
➢ Warm jacket 
➢ Warm trouser 
➢ Thermal
➢ Gloves
➢ Woolen cap
➢ Woolen socks
➢ Trekking pole
➢ Hat
➢ Head lamp
➢ Sunblock
➢ Sun goggles
 
I hope it works . Happy Trekking 😊



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy and traditional Pashtoon Afghani frocks !!!

Fancy Afghani and Kuchi style frocks

My visit to Khewra Salt Mines ' A wonder of the World'

Shrine of Abdul Qadir Gillani's grand sons in Kallar Kahar

Rawal Dam.....with a lake in and a Park around, in capital Islamabad " A beautiful combination of water and gardens"

Confluence of River Indus and River Kabul:

Pakistan Monument Museum, A must visit place in Islamabad

Famous Chapli Kabab of North west in Pakistan

Travel to Lahore " The Shalimar Garden"